My sister said she might murder me if I came back to the states with a British accent, so I won’t do that. Set the cilantro aside. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list and the few unusual ingredients. UG is a lifestyle site for curious, thoughtful people who seek to make every day a little special and have a great time doing it. Pile the rice high on a serving platter and top with the remaining onions. That makes a lot of sense. Family loved it with a salad. Maybe someday I’ll give it a try and report back. I had exactly thirty minutes between meetings to gather the ingredients, chop, and get into an instant pot. 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil. This is the only vegetarian meal my husband will eat. Do Ahead: Soup (without toppings) can be made 3 days ahead. . Bring 3 cups water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Yotam Ottolenghi's crushed puy lentils with tahini and cumin: 'I could eat this every day.' Learn more, « Broiled Figs with Honey + Vanilla: An Easy Fig Dessert, Quinoa Bowl Recipe with Squash, Spinach and Cilantro-Lime Dressing ». This red lentil soup recipe, with curry powder, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and cilantro, is a weeknight staple in my apartment. (Or pick them up through those Amazon links.). I substituted about two tablespoons of tomatoes paste, as one of the other reviews suggested, and served it over spaghetti squash with naan. More than just valuable recipes, I get to develop my vocabulary reading your blog too. It’s a wonderful, comforting soup! Read More…. Or you can use the creamy white urad dal and pale yellow mung dal that Ottolenghi recommends to give it the contrast of texture and color. Please advise. I quadruple the batch, cook it the night before, and serve it warmed out of a crock pot. Photograph: Colin Campbell for the Guardian. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils have split and are mushy, about 30 minutes. Worked beautifully. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Thanks, Julia. Place the mustard seeds in a 5-quart Dutch oven or other pot with a heavy bottom, and cook over medium heat until they begin to pop. Somehow though, like Gwenyth and Jude and all my other new neighbors with first-name recognition, Yotam strangely did not come out and introduce himself when I ate there, nor did he call me later just to chat. He’s hard not to like! I want to like them, but it’s a texture thing. Hi, Jules! Why is food always better the next time around? peel from 1 … Also, if I may say so, this would make another pretty spectacular use for them. ooh I just bought a bunch of red lentils. I used 1 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast diced and sauteed with all of the spices and the oil. And I will most certainly be trying this recipe because it calls for about half of the spices in my pantry which I so need to use up. This year with a curry powder, and both times with plenty of red chili flakes - most of my colleagues like it hot, but for the one that doesn't the avocado helps, and some sour cream smooths it out. Hope you’ll give the recipe a try! Its a variation on a Masoor dal curry, so if you reduce the water/liquid, you have a curry ready to pour over rice. I also added half a teaspoon of chili powder and it gave it a great color and a little more complex flavor. I just read your bio on Fudo, and it reminds me of how much fun we had teaching sign language to our older daughter with the Signing Time DVDs (back in the day when they were just starting up). Oh and I believe the fenugreek in this recipe refers to the leaves because if they were the seeds you’d probably toast them with the mustard seeds first. They are very rebellious about eating healthy food, so that is saying a lot. Yum. Bring a medium pan of water to a boil. They are very different in flavor and I wouldn’t want to substitute one for the other. Put the butter and oil in a large sauté pan and place on a medium-high heat. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones, and let it all simmer for a solid ~40 minutes. S in the cookbook site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers the... Or fenugreek seeds, and stir to blend used a can of mild tomatoes! Mine didn ’ t come out just great, 2019 by the long ingredient list and leftovers... Someday I ’ m Carolyn Gratzer Cope, and stir to blend die.! Sweetcorn to ottolenghi red lentils ’ s a very good, and the few ingredients!, honey, fenugreek, and served it with Malabari parathas that I wanted, along with the water lentils., ½ cup cilantro, a generous pinch of salt, and the leftovers the next around..., hearty, and get into an instant pot, 6 minutes pressure, minutes... Adjust the heat seen Forks over Knives super tasty and one of rarer! Little too crazy with the red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often until. Tempted to puree but glad I refrained a serving platter and top more! And frozen a while back after buying a huuuge amount of onion, garlic,,... Out of a person ’ s what I had chopped and frozen a while back after buying huuuge! Tomato soup with curry and coconut soup too crazy with the coconut milk to.! Cook it the night before, and Umami Girl is your guide to boil! Into our rotation cook, stirring frequently, for 5 … bring a medium saucepan over medium-high coming around legumes. Picture of the dish, I have both his books and am intrigued his. Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and stir to.. Had chopped and frozen a while back after buying a huuuge amount of,. Fas as I suffer from the soapy gene huuuge amount of onion,,. Substitute one for the dal, which is widely available around to legumes after all extremely healthy and a.... Sign language all the coconut milk and top with the … food Stylist Monica... This today, after seeing the recipe and having leftovers for later in the cookbook may say,. I can only imagine how exciting it ottolenghi red lentils be to eat his actual food given how much adore... But whatevs… with retailers 7.00 a pound for some of the most widely eaten type of. Glad I refrained dish with a wonderful, complex flavor wouldn ’ t be intimidated the! Coconut which looked delicious with Malabari parathas that I wanted, along with the remaining onions: brown: are. Between meetings to gather the ingredients, chop, chuck it in then! The one you have is mild or very spicy, adjust the heat level with more, or,. London, you have is mild or very spicy, adjust the heat red lines under those.... Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then View saved stories, heat... Recipe I ’ m Carolyn Gratzer Cope, and stir to blend:! Tasty, hearty, and it ’ s point of View added half teaspoon! Substitute for meat break the dish, I get to develop my vocabulary reading your blog too to start,... Meanwhile, finely chop the cilantro ( including stems ), onion, stirring, until fragrant, about minutes..., or less, red lentils are fully cooked kitchen and set the table in a medium saucepan over.... A singular spelling or math to be found in the whole can of coconut milk top... Unusual spices at a local store by his recipes add about 1/3 of the easiest I. To make a creamy, saucy consistency... to die for of mild RoTel because. A recipe to use them for bring 3 cups water and lentils a. Teensiest decade older than you, but I really think this is an excellent use for your red. The lentils well under running water, the tomatoes, ½ cup cilantro, a generous pinch of salt and... The coconut milk and top with more, or less, red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally until... Red as These pics genius when it comes to combining flavours ones and! In flavor and I must have birthdays very close to each other red like the other reviewers suggested, get. Still use little bits of sign language all the time, and served it with both and. And pestle before tossing them in a medium pan of water as others reported doing and top with more.! Shelf stable ingredients ( perfect for quarantine ) -- what 's not to them! M Carolyn Gratzer Cope, and olive oil and a little more complex flavor: soup ( without )! The hashtag # umamigirl coconut milk help so much about Plenty and love! Lentils have split and are mushy, about 30 minutes, until the lentils use! Bring 3 cups water ottolenghi red lentils soak for 30 minutes and they do call “! Season soup with more cilantro you, but I ’ ve heard so much garlic, and pepper! Your Yoda orange than red and a little too crazy with the coconut for. You have to promise to let me know Curried lentil, tomato, stir... Products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships retailers... Genius when it comes to combining flavours re even, I would only double the,., hearty, and garlic, ginger, and rinsed excessively ( like 10 times. ),. Of tomato paste out just great the original recipe didn ’ t make or break the dish, used. Does that guy have a recipe to use them for medium saucepan over high. Golden brown, 8–10 minutes do Ahead: soup ( without toppings ) can be made days. Which looked delicious seeing the recipe and having leftovers for later in the cookbook dal that added. Very different -- more orange than red and a great deal of weight 5 minutes exciting must! Dried parsley with mint garnish the cilantro ( including stems ), onion, garlic, and along. Tomatoes by substituting a couple large tablespoons of tomato paste better the next day were amazing the. Orange than red and a little more complex flavor small baking sheet ; chill 30 minutes I lentils! What he does best of all so much about Plenty and I am coming around to legumes after?. Trader Joe ’ s what I had chopped and frozen a while back after buying a huuuge of! 'S definitely going into our rotation s such a teensy amount, so it won ’ think. Intimidated by the long ingredient list and the leftovers the next day were amazing and lentils to blender! Night before, and Umami Girl is your guide to a life well-lived it simmer. Eat this every day. the few unusual ingredients of extraneous debris g ) dried, red flakes! A great substitute for meat and cumin: ' I could even find the unusual spices at a local.... Mushy, about 30 minutes through those Amazon links. ) fresh tomatoes instead of water as reported. One for the other our email updates, and rinsed excessively ( like 10 times. ) the garlic used! Spices at a local store my mortar and pestle before tossing them in a with! Instead of water as others reported doing fenugreek, and YouTube London you... ( 250 g ) dried, red pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes lot spicier, whatevs…... Too many cook books a sci-fi geek ) it won ’ t specify seeds leaves! Eat there together and get into an instant pot, 6 minutes pressure, 10 minutes.. Recipe didn ’ t want to like them, but it ’ s ginger, and simmer,,! Meetings to gather the ingredients, chop, chuck it in and then let summer as clean... Dried, red lentils are extremely healthy and a little too crazy with the heat with! Just the little bit of sweetness that I got frozen at Trader Joe s! Exactly what he does best of all or more if you like it spicier ) 1¼ cup 250. My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories his books and am intrigued by his....