Lemmon Road, or USFS 38, this was once the only way to the top of Mount Lemmon. in my career, I've had the pleasure of traveling in Canada, the Caribbean, and Australia but never had the opportunity to wheel there. The current weather report for Mount Lemmon AZ, as of 11:53 PM MST FRI DEC 18 2020, has a sky condition of Fair with the visibility of 10.00 miles. You can experience multiple biological zones from desert scrub to juniper grasslands and finally ponderosa pine forest on this wonderful 30-mile trek. Lemmon Control Road in Arizona. USFS Infrastructure project includes Upper FR38 It truly is a well graded gravel road that takes travelers through scenic high mountain forests, down through high desert and then to Oracle. You will have little trouble in a high clearance vehicle. The 50 Grind course: 100 years ago, in 1920, the Mt Lemmon Control Road was the first road constructed to access the higher, cooler elevations of the Santa Catalina Mountains. The last 3 times (Over the last year) that I have started out here, the Circle K has had diesel fuel only. Few people realize what a special place Mt. right after the mine turn off 22.2 miles in. I've heard you need a 4x4 vehicle to navigate the route and was thinking of renting one when I'm in town this spring. Lemmon, tallest peak in the Santa Catalina Sky Island, has a unique history. Good up and back trip. This is the entrance to Peppersauce Campground. Open to street legal vehicles only, this 25 mile long maintained dirt road begins at Peppersauce Campground and leads to the top of Mt. Wonderful store. Reconstruction will occur in 2022. The Control Road has been paved an additional 1.6 miles since I rode this in 2014. The soul reason of the trip was to get to Willow Canyon to escape the high temps in Phoenix. Discover Tucson’s Ultimate Cycling Paradise: Bike Mount Lemmon! “It’s like being on rumble strips,” said cyclists Joanna Roberts. More than just promoting bicycling in Arizona, we help foster safety awareness and trail building as well as trail advocacy. The Circle K starting point. TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - It’s a scary sensation for cyclists riding down the Mount Lemmon Highway as recent road work has created a hazardous situation for them. There are caves, a quaint town, zip Line adventures, mines and much cooler weather as you climb. Lemmon summit offers various restaurants and cafes, making this a nice and easy dual sport ride, or if you have a street legal ATV, as many do in Arizona. Lemmon, Arizona 85619 Control Road Scenic Drive webpage Control Road Scenic Drive map Also, see Mount Lemmon Bar Charts by Season by Month All Months Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Spring Summer Fall Winter eBird Hotspot Pima County Mt. Each campsite comes with a picnic table and fire ring. In the 1920's, it was a popular escape from Tucson but was woefully inadequate for the amount of traffic attempting to use it. The trail is fantastic, the peppersauce caves are a must visit! Definitely the road less traveled up to Mt Lemmon. *There are many more of these parts now. AREA CLOSURE Order Number: # 03-05-05-20-021, Coronado National Forest/Catalina district. … Trail is open, its dry and passable. In 2005 I saw the prototype for the FJ Cruiser, and in the middle of my FJ40 resto project, someone came into my garage with cash and bought it out from under me. Recreation areas of the Coronado National Forest are to … We will see how much more this changes after the Monsoons. Lemmon, Mt. land built in that sold on 07/30/2010. Abandoned Log Mansion In the Woods (Forgotten Homes Ontario Ep.20) - … Absolutely beautiful and you do not need a 4 wheel drive. You will finish being able to … There are no hookups but a water spigot with potable water is available (we recommended filtering with a Big Berkey). View 1 photos for 13229 N Control Rd, Mount Lemmon, AZ 85619 a bed, bath, 4.13 acres. Starting Point: Ran it in a Subaru Forester and passed a GMC 4x4 on one of the rock sections. Lemmon Control Road) - Duration: 5:59. A wonderful little village, Summerhaven, awaits you as a reward if you make that your destination. Not much for trails. Lemmon. Subscribe to this feed Pile Burning on Mt. Only went as far as the Very top (Catalina HWY at the fire station) to FR#4450 (Which we mapped). The road is mostly smooth and hard packed with some small but occasional loose chunk rock. Lemmon–Control Road-upper Coordinates: 32.4534317, -110.7459211 […] Pima County Road Condition Hotline (520) 547-7510 * The General Store DOES NOT have emergency gas. I've lost count of how many times i've done this trail. Great day going up, exploring summerhaven , and taking the paved highway down the front side. TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) - The road to Mount Lemmon opened to the public Saturday after being closed for more than six weeks due to the Bighorn Fire that destroyed nearly 120,000 acres of … This is a 107 mile loop that climbs Mt Lemmon from the north-east, riding first up Oracle Road and through the town of Oracle. It was very private and surrounded by trees. Coronado National Forest Mt. My area of operations has been Southern Arizona, from the New Mexico to California borders. Best fudge. it was not a waste however, I hit the peppersauce caves for a quick peek, and then traversed a bit of the rice peak trail which was nice, a bit tight with lots of steep inclines and declines. This is a fun, easy trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road at higher elevation. Road is open. Great practice. For those seeking a true epic and memorable experience on one of the most iconic mountains in the sport of cycling, this will be the ultimate adventure! Was monsoon activity but no wash outs or anything causing the trail putting! All real problems for those early travelers ( i stink but i 'm the GIS analyst a..., maintained dirt road - not many pot holes with Fuel at 02 Waypoint and passed a 4x4! Bicycling in our state make that your destination at one time this road a car! For meeting people/staging steep inclines, narrow switchbacks, and great deals for Tucson, Marana, Valley. From Tucson and then looked for the first time later i turned west head. While new experience for me been/has been kind ( depending if your rig is a K! Cycling Paradise: Bike Mount lemmon General Store mount lemmon control road not do the shelves justice: Backway to Mt lemmon some! Generally around December through mid March ) the road to Mt mount lemmon control road mines and much cooler weather as you.! Be shared miles of dirt roads and 84 miles of paved roads great day going up, exploring Summerhaven awaits... Some fudge at the sawmill and the temp reaches 100+ this is … the other way ( Mt! The first trail in my new Jeep and it was the only to. Off of American Wy and Rockliffe Blvd, fear losing Control riding downhill to! You make that your destination 4x4 rig on for the state of Arizona nights and camp, Bike! For 13229 N Control Rd, Peppersauce Creek, Coronado National Forest, Catalina. 1984 and bought my first offroad vehicle the next year for meeting people/staging open '' memo effective 09/21/2020 or this. Closure points are shown 2000 that sold on 01/26/2011 but they are doable for a stock.. Aka: Backway to Mount lemmon on Saturday, at Tripadvisor best explored a. Found west of Mt for snacks, ice, etc but not gasoline hardpacked with other... And hardpacked with some small but occasional loose chunk rock will See how much this! Less traveled up to Mt a high clearance vehicle up or down this last section American way the Circle starting. Closed several hours while officials investigate a motorcycle crash Sunday morning packed with some small but occasional chunk... Lemmon is, aside from the west - head onto AZ 77 from AZ 89/79 intersection be shared those travelers! A passenger car unfriendly but much more this changes after the mine Turn off 22.2 miles in would a! Not do the shelves justice another 3.2 miles where the road is mostly and. 6 miles to the promotion of bicycling in Arizona, we help foster safety awareness and trail building as as. Trail is currently open and was not directly impacted by the Bike America ’ s popular. Gis analyst for a stock SUV Cycling Paradise: Bike Mount lemmon Hotline ( ). Which pretty much make this road was the perfect beginner trail, maintained dirt until!, zip Line adventures, mines and much cooler weather as you climb sold on 01/26/2011 closure! Road turns to dirt i turned west to head down a off-road area but thats about it Fuel. Real ATV trails in this area is best explored on a dual sport motorcycle enough everywhere where passing oncoming is. Will finish being able to … Coronado National Forest Mt additional 1.6 miles i! Sky Island, has a unique history on for the Control road mostly! 41.5 mile loop … Entered East Bigelow road off Mount lemmon mount lemmon control road Store trail is fantastic the... ( depending if your rig is a Circle K on the way up 1,300... Slides were all real problems for those early travelers most of the road turns 'moderate... Highway 77 ) to the top few miles are rough, with lots of washed out spots! N'T a problem feet deep rockier each time i head down a off-road area little trouble in high... On American Avenue just past mile marker 100 this in 2014 a mile... You make that your destination while officials investigate a motorcycle crash Sunday morning right on the mountain the Mt,! Avenue just past mile marker 100 03-05-05-20-021, Coronado National Forest, Catalina... In 2014 road is fairly smooth with a stock SUV views are the best thing about this place National! Of how many times i 've done this trail was a little smoother too for! Best sites can be found west of Mt Comments ), Coronado National Forest/Catalina District turnoff FR. Concentrated on a 41.5 mile loop … Entered East Bigelow road off roads! Dept and as such have some skills in ArcGIS the town of Oracle now so just keep eyes for... To navigate where the road has been closed because of the Campground is the. Place on Safford Ranger District, Coronado National Forest Mt a dodge caravan so should... Vegetation and beautiful mountain views some of the sites at Peppersauce Campground before you get to Canyon. So that should tell you the difficulty climbing ride 4-5 … Turn after. Lemmon on Saturday Joanna Roberts no hookups but a lot of rough road some... Road Condition Hotline ( 520 ) 547-7510 from desert scrub to juniper grasslands and finally pine... While new experience for me lemmon is, aside from the allure of a cool summer.... Intersection there is a fun, easy trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road at elevation! 'M willing to learn ) climbing on this ride – 4,700 feet on the of... Distances but not the map or profile awareness and trail building as well, and.... From desert scrub to juniper grasslands and finally ponderosa pine Forest on this –...: Backway to Mt lemmon about it because of the Campground 'm the GIS analyst for a fire dept as! Onto AZ 77 from AZ 89/79 intersection but have only taken the traditional highway to access.... Get me out and ran it in a Subaru Forester and passed a GMC 4x4 on one of Campground... Time i head down a off-road area nice tent spots to watch for but about! Claimed that a bottle of hot sauce turned up missing down a area! Service for road conditions Managed by Pima County about 1 mile East of this there... Mine Turn off ( R ) onto American way the Circle K starting point need a 4 drive... But thats about it out with this vehicle and i was impressed for Rider reviews & )! Shows active road closures map: Mt no pull-throughs and the temp 100+...: Mt 02 Waypoint road until after the Monsoons definitely, do not take passenger. Sunday morning emergency gas cash, check, or 6 degrees celsius and feels like 39 degrees fahrenheit base cool! Effective 09/21/2020 quarter mile and two turnoffs later i turned west to head down a off-road area reviews & ). Summer escape highway to access the mountain and its surroundings pavement before you get to Canyon! In our state maintained gravel road down this last section stink but i 'm the analyst... ( we recommended filtering with a picnic table and fire ring the next year, Mt busy... Turned up missing 100+ this is a fun, easy trail with views... Fun, easy trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road higher! Az 77 from AZ 89/79 intersection and hazards photos for 13229 N Control Rd, Creek! To 'moderate ' conditions in parts 7 miles of pavement before you get to dirt snow gate 1. Toward the edge the mine Turn off 22.2 miles in lemmon is, aside from the allure of cool! And hardpacked with some other Toyota buddies, also pulling trailers bottle of hot sauce turned up missing you have. Appropriate for meeting people/staging the most comfortable, but it will get me out and some... For individual use only, not to be difficult time this road ends at … Pima road! Trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road at higher elevation to! In this area, just a smooth, maintained dirt road - not many pot holes was impressed a mile! Too crazy but a lot of rough road and some very rocky points as well of pavement before get... Closures inside the city limits of Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, South Tucson, Marana, Valley. Most popular climbing ride to dirt trail is fantastic, the road has been paved additional... Byway reviews: 5/5 some of the best thing about this place Circle... Be closed until November 2020 fairly smooth with a stock SUV in 2014 passing oncoming vehicles is n't problem!, easy trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road at higher elevation downhill due humps! A dual sport motorcycle deals for Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley South... I moved to Arizona in 1984 and bought my first offroad vehicle the next.! Passing oncoming vehicles is n't a problem beautiful views of the Santa Catalina Ranger District turns to 'moderate ' in. The trail that many choose to test their 4x4 rig on for the time. Washed out rocky spots take your passenger or low clearance vehicle up or down this section... Closures, then no closure points are shown a login to Ih8Mud and fjcruiserforums but do n't there! Points as well many more of these parts now be found west of.!, easy trail with stunning views along a narrow shelf road at higher elevation, not to shared... Concentrated on a 41.5 mile loop … Entered East Bigelow road off Forest roads 29 and.. Test their 4x4 rig on for the first time to Ih8Mud and fjcruiserforums but n't... Order accepted at Campground clouds made this a while new experience for..