Plant them 12”- 18” (30.5 to 45.5 cm.) You can also try keeping Calibrachoa plants over winter in a container indoors. In mild areas it can be grown in the border as a perennial, but in frost prone areas it’s best treated as an annual – alternatively grow in pots which you can move indoors in autumn. This article will show you how to overwinter your dahlias both indoors and outdoors - just see Step 1 below to get started. I find the bog-standard, no-specific-variety ones are hardy enough to come through out in the garden, but I've lost all of the other ones - the fancier colours, decorative petals etc whenever I've left them out. These can be grown as annuals or moved indoors in autumn to overwinter. To overwinter your annuals indoors, one option is to dig up the entire plant before your first fall frost. However, on heavy soil you'll be better off overwintering rooted cuttings. This will insulate their roots and provide some protection against the frost. They only ask to be kept well watered. Genus Osteospermum can be annuals, perennials or sub-shrubs, with aromatic, evergreen, simple or lobed leaves and showy daisy-like flowers over a long period from late spring . For best results feed your Osteospermums on a weekly basis with a general fertilizer such as phostrogen. By pruning osteospermum, you increase the number of blooms and maintain a pleasant plant shape. They'll stay in the cold frame until the spring, I think, as such cold weather is predicted. I was feeding mine over the summer and just realised thats wrong. Oh, just saw you pop up there freddy, hi to you as it's been a long time. Osteospermum. So we weren't surprised when the plants left outside died before Christmas. I brought them into the unheated greenhouse and occasionally watered them when really dry. :-)). Unfortunately I don't have any before and after photos so the blog might be a bit dull. Alternatively, you can save space by packing several plants into tray. You’ll then want to cut the stems back to three-inch spikes, and remove any remaining foliage, blooms, or mold. It was gorgeous when I got it and it was blooming. If you are blessed with a greenhouse or have ample window space, the easiest way to overwinter your annuals is to bring them indoors before they are killed by … There are several ways to overwinter your geraniums, but we find the best way is to plant them into boxes or pots in a multi-purpose compost. Remove … We'll have to imagine the original plain grass roundabout that was mown twice a year. I had read that they were white tinged with pink, so I expect I'm splitting hairs. You can over-winter them easily so that they are available for the next year. Once you get the hang of it, you will love and enjoy your new-found gardening technique. Family Asteraceae . Typically though, the others all lost interest so muggins here now does it all which after doing 35 customers gardens a week can be the last thing I need! Although dahlias can survive outdoors in US hardiness zones 7 to 10, they will need to be brought indoors in colder … Cut back hardy osteospermums in early spring or after flowering in autumn. There's a small roundabout at the entrance to my village and I keep it looking nice. Add another photo Cuttings of my purple osteo root very easily (even if just stuck in the ground) but they like to be fairly dry and have free-draining soil and sun. Keep an eye on the cuttings and do not let them dry out. Do You Prune Osteospermum Before or After It Blooms?. In order to keep a dracaena spike plant alive over the winter, transplant it into a pot and move that pot indoors. Can I overwinter fushias in a cold greenhouse and if so how? Pruning helps keep flowering perennials looking their best, according to Leslie Patterson, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Master Gardener. RHS … Pruning helps keep flowering perennials looking their best, according to Leslie Patterson, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Master Gardener. Like osteospermums, pelargoniums are South African natives and we wouldn't expect them to survive outside in cold and wet conditions. Other common names delightful African daisy . How can I overwinter cuttings of penstemon and osteospermum without a grow/greenhouse? My plants. All this is no answer to the question but I'd be interested to know what others have found.